Uncertainty created by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is looming in all sectors worldwide. As COVID-19 continues to spread, using accurate data tools is imperative in minimizing and limiting exposure. Many of the challenges that organizations and governments are facing are around identifying the proper means of communicating with employees or others who have come into the workplace, that they may have been exposed to an individual with COVID-19. Early communication through a tracing app is key in following OSHA guidelines and, most importantly, keeping employees safe and healthy.
What is California Assembly Bill 685?
Assembly Bill (AB) 685 was signed into law on September 17, 2020 by California Governor Gavin Newsom. This new legislation enacted statewide safety standards for employers on how to handle COVID-19-related reporting and communication with employees and those who have entered the premises. Not only does the law require open communication throughout all levels of the workplace － employees, HR, and even local government when there is an outbreak; it also gives power to the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) to enforce the law and hold organizations accountable.
Employer Reporting Requirements Established by AB 685
- Employers must provide written notification to all employees and subcontracted employees within one business day of potential exposure.
- Employers must communicate COVID-19 benefits including: workers’ compensation, covid leave, paid sick leave, and anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation policies.
- Employers must provide notice of safety plans to eliminate any further exposures and disinfection protocols to its employees.
- Employers must notify local health public health agencies of outbreaks.
How the Care360 Tracing App Can Help Your Organization Meet the Requirements of AB 685
Digital tools make it easy to communicate critical information instantly. Now more than ever organizations need dedicated communication systems in place to both comply with new AB 685 requirements, but most importantly to mitigate potential outbreaks within each organization.
- Fully anonymized reporting to protect the privacy of employees and ensure accurate data.
- Notification system that automatically notifies all potentially infected employees via in-app messages, email or text simultaneously.
- Customizable admin messaging feature that notifies employees of their COVID-19 related benefits and safety plans.
- Generated daily reports for the employer needed to be submitted to the local public health department.
Remain AB 685 Compliant